« Back to listings
Categories
Uncategorized

MOLD – CAUSES, REMEDIES AND PREVENTION

Mold, a fungus which can grow on building materials, can cause some serious problems within your home. If not dealt with, mold can grow to become a significant health hazard. These symptoms can include coughing, phlegm build-up, wheezing, shortness of breath, and more.

Causes of Mold

Once spores are present in your home, mold only needs a few things to start growing. A dark, humid environment will allow mold to grow along with a food source which can be wood, drywall, or other organic materials. It does not take long for mold to grow. Under the right conditions, most mold can begin to grow within 48 hours.

If you have a water leak, mold can begin to form if not attended to quickly. Leaks can be tricky as they may not always be in sight. Leaking pipes, for example, often go undetected as they are hidden inside a wall. This means by the time you reach it, chances are mold is already present. Other causes for mold may include condensation, poor ventilation, wet clothes and flooding.

Remedies for Mold

While it may not seem very dangerous, mold can be toxic. It is best practice to hire a professional rather than removing the mold yourself.

However, if you have mold in your home that is not toxic, it can be possible to do it yourself. This is only if the area is smaller than a 3 by 3 foot area. If you choose to do it yourself, be sure to wear protective equipment like a respirator, googles, gloves and a full body protective suit while doing so. Bleach, borax, vinegar and ammonia can all work in removing mold spores. You will also need to contain these spores in order to ensure they do not spread around your house. The best way to do this is to seal off the room you will be working in as well as use plastic sheets to cover openings like vents and doorways. Ensure they are sealed well with duct tape!

Preventing Mold

Mould needs organic compounds in order to grow, which can be easily found within a home. However the biggest factor is preventing excess water within the home including moisture, water leaks, humidity and condensation.

If you find a room in your home is feeling damp, it is a good idea to purchase a dehumidifier. This will help circulate the air so it does not stagnate while removing excess moisture.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.